Friday, November 16, 2007

A New Venture


This morning, I announced to the members of my online Elderwoman Discussion Group that I am just about to create a social networking site – one that elderwomen might find more appropriate to join than, say, Facebook. I want it to be a site that encourages deeper, more thoughtful interaction than any of the existing social networking sites seem to do.

I asked members of the group to comment on this and help me decide exactly how the network is going to be run. For instance, will it be an 'invitation-only' group, where members invite other potential members, or will it be open to anyone who sees it and wants to join? Will it be just for women, like our Discussion Group is, or should we open it to 'eldermen' as well?

If there are any readers of my blog who are interested in a network like this and would like to add some ideas on how it should be shaped, I would love to hear from them.

You can either leave a comment here or email me at marian(at)elderwoman.org (and please put the letters OKEM in the subject line of your email to ensure that your message gets safely through my spam filters).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty new to your blog and I'm not in your discussion group, but this certainly sounds like a good idea.
It's nice to have just women giving input, but sometimes male feedback is also thought provoking. But I'd like to be included if you do set this up.

Jill said...

Like Terri, I am not in your discussion group but am a reader and would love something like this. I am a member of Facebook but find that, naturally, it is aimed at a much younger audience. I certainly would want to be able to apply for membership when this is set up. Will be be able to do so via the blog with some sort of vetting system?

MaryContrary said...

I am also not in the discussion group but do read your blog regularly. I am generally not a joiner but the discussion group you describe is something I would join. Please include me when you set it up.

Beverly said...

I have started reading your blog regularly. I have even ordered your books. I am searching for wisdom as i start thinking about how to live these elder years with love and laughter and a general longing for a quality life. Please allow me to read and join. Maybe with time I will have something to say...

Rain Trueax said...

This sounds like what women need and I would be interested in joining if you do it and it's open to those with interest

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain just directed me to your blog. Reading quickly through and viewing your web page, I feel connection with what you are doing and would be delighted to be a part of your discussion group if I am accepted as a member.

Elderwoman said...

Thanks for those responses. I am feeling very encouraged (see the next post)
Jill and Mary, I need your email addresses so that I can send you an invitation to join the new network. Please email them to me at marian(at)elderwoman.org