Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Synchronicity Story


Imagine my surprise, last week, when the pleasant-faced stranger in the bar on Maratea railway station recognized me as the person who had blogged about my previous visit to that delightful little corner of southern Italy. He had followed a section of the itinerary I posted on the Web and now here he was. And here I was, walking straight into his morning as he sat there in the bar, waiting for his train.
John from Bristol, if you are reading this, I just want to tell you that you made my day!
For one thing, I love synchronicity. I mean, what were the chances of our meeting up in that place at that moment in time? My friend Kim says that synchronicity is a sure sign that "...things are going well and life is happening as it should." I am sure she is right. I believe that, too.
Secondly, I always thought I had a totally forgettable face. So it amazed me that someone would recognize me merely from a couple of photos posted on the Internet.
On the way home, Sky and I paid a brief visit to Sorrento. Why, I wondered, as we sat in a clifftop cafe drinking wine and looking at Vesuvius across the Bay, do people cluster so thickly in the same old tourist hotspots when there are so many other lovely places to discover? Sorrento is a picturesque spot, to be sure, but give me Maratea any time. Sky said he felt the same.
On second thoughts, I am selfishly glad that most people tend to stick to the tourist trail. Tourism eventually corrupts every beautiful place, stealing its innocence and turning it inexorably into something less than it was before.
Yet I, too, am a tourist sometimes. Just as with the destruction of the environment by human exploitation and overpopulation, I am one of those lamenting the problem and at the same time, by my very existence. I am also part of its cause. A sobering thought.

12 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marian I think I would recognize you anywhere. You have made a definite impression on this One Woman's heart and mind with your books and sharing.

janet copenhaver said...

Not so much if you walk softly and are respectful, which I know you are!

We can explore and discover quietly.

Tess said...

What a lovely story. And yes I'm sure I would/will recognise you.
I think the tourism thing is partly about a fear of missing one of the 'big sights' and many people don't have time for the less populated areas as well. But also I think it's the 'British beach' syndrome. When I was a child we (the family) used to walk as far as possible away from everyone else on our seaside holidays, to deserted parts of the beach. Inevitably, another family would turn up sooner or later and plonk themselves right down next to us when there was plenty of space elsewhere! You can tell I come from quite an introverted family, can't you??

Anonymous said...

I like the synchronicity story and have ditto recorded one or two on my food blog (here's one: http://tinyurl.com/d4f3fj).

I also recognise the complex feelings of the tourist!

Anonymous said...

I like the synchronicity story and have ditto recorded one or two on my food blog (here's one: http://tinyurl.com/d4f3fj).

I also recognise the complex feelings of the tourist!

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Hi Marian,
Great travel synchronicity. Your story came to our attention through Google alerts. We started a blog several months ago on synchronicity as research for a book on the topic, and would love to re-post your story. www.ofscarabs.blogspot.com

Happy travels,
Trish and Rob MacGregor

Cherie/ Butterfly Dreamer said...

I am new to your blog and found it by chnace and am so glad I did.

Megokee said...

Dear elderwoman, delighted to stumble on your thoughts today...I seem to have turned a corner in accepting synchronicity as commonplace, and have ceased to marvel at it. Meg

Chris said...

Hey great blog! I would like to touch base with you about your blog. Please contact me directly at chris@greenpress.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Chris

PEACE said...

Love to come and check in on your blog. Makes me want to quit work and start simplifying NOW. See all the places I have wanted to see, but never seem to find the time. I love Italy, spent only a few weeks there and am yearning to go back. I love reading your blog and believing in the real possibility that we all can make a difference in this world.

Elderwoman said...

Thank you all for these lovely comments. (Trish and Rob, yes by all means re-post the story.)
Since I posted this, John and I have been in email contact and I have enjoyed reading his version of the story on his blog. And his other travel tales as well. What an amazing medium the Internet is!!

Nardeeisms said...

You are wonderful! I love your "spunk". ~Nards